Monday, October 27, 2008

Thing 8

I really enjoyed Vicki Davis' story of how wikis impacted her classroom and in turn impacted the entire school. I looked at the study hall wiki and the other course wikis to see how they were used by students. I found a useful study guide created by students for breaking down King Lear. I found this interesting and very applicable to my course, geometry. We have a great deal of vocabulary and a wiki might be a good source for my classes to compile their notes, vocab, ect. in one convienent place from which to study. I looked everywhere for a good geometry wiki and/or blog and thus far I have been unsuccessful. Maybe that will be enough incentive for me to create my own. I would have liked to see more pictures on this wiki, but I guess it suited the purpose for which it was created.

Another one of my favorite wikis was of elementary school math. In this wiki the teacher used geometric pictures from the environment to teach patterns. I think I would like this format to be used in my geometric classroom. I could have the students take their own pictures and upload them to the wiki for all to see. We could investigate patterns, shapes, solids, area, tesselations, etc and the best part is that the students are finding examples that interest them and they are learning at the same time. Of course, the downfall to all of this is you must trust the students will use the site in a positive and educational manner.

The third and best wiki I found was concerning Chemistry. This wiki was very good because it was totally student-centered. The teacher posted his notes and then asked his students to create their own timeline for the various atomic models. I am not certain how I would use this, but maybe I could have them do a project on tesselations and the various types. Students could learn about the types and find pictures on the internet. They could also take their own pictures to ensure that they know what the different types are and how they are different from each other. Overall, I see wikis as a very useful tool that I would like to incorportate in my methods of instruction.

I am even considering using a wiki in my other passion - woodworking. I will have to see what is out there first.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Here's a geometry wiki (work in progess) from one of my teachers who took this course over the summer.

I hope you will share if you create something.