Friday, November 7, 2008

Thing 13

I chose a presentation on Games in Education. I learned several things during the 23 minute presentation. I thought I was going to get some games to use in class, but I ended up beginning to think more about why I want to have games in class. I like them because they are fun and a nice change of pace. The presenter, Sylvia Martinez, believes that games are more than that. They are tools, if used the right way, that can promote learning at a high level. She feels that games are misused in education and that they can do so much more. After her presentation, I would tend to agree. She even suggests "taking it up a notch" and having the students produce their own games. As a geometry teacher, I think this might be something I can attempt to do in my own classroom. I will look into her wiki and some of the websites she recommended (scratch and etoys).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I also agree that games have a time and place in the classroom. Just as students learn differently, some students may find that the use of games is advantageous in their own learning process. They may discover that the use of games helps them see a concept better, or in a different way.
Thanks for your post!